Heidelberger's Original Memo to Pierre
To: Ken Pickering, SDHSAA
From: Cory Allen Heidelberger, Montrose HS
Drama Subject: State One-Act Festival Alternative Schedule
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2007
Finding all of the options presented in the April 10 survey unpalatable, I offer the following alternative proposal for the State One-Act Festival Schedule:
- Return to the 30-minute format.
- Qualify 16 shows from each class to State by any fair and feasible Region alignment.
- Conduct festivals for each class at separate yet nearby sites. Possible site combinations:
- Brandon Valley–Lennox–Washington Pavilion
- SDSU Performing Arts Center–Doner Auditorium–Brookings HS
- Brookings HS–Watertown HS–Madison Dakota Prairie Playhouse
- Spearfish–Sturgis–Rapid City
- Yankton HS–USD–Vermillion HS
- Huron HS–Watertown HS–NSU Johnson Fine Arts Center
- Pierre Riggs–Chamberlain HS–...???
- Run plays at each site by the following schedule:
- Friday morning shows at 9, 10, and 11
- Friday afternoon shows at 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
- Friday evening shows at 7, 8, and 9
- Saturday morning shows at 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12.
- Announce Superior Performer/Ensemble Play awards for each class at its site Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Select one play from each site (either throguh judges' consensus or independent rankings scored cumulatively) as the top play in class. Announce top play award at end of Saturday afternoon presentation.
- Present all three best-in-class plays in encore performance at the largest and/or most centrally located festival site Saturday evening, performances running at 7:00 p.m., 7:45 p.m., and 8:30 p.m.